Substance Abuse Treatment in Montgomery, AL
It is no exaggeration to note that untreated substance abuse and addiction can undermine your ability to enjoy a full and satisfying life. Alcohol and other drugs can cause considerable physical, psychological, and emotional harm. In the absence of effective care, the negative impact of addiction will likely become progressively more severe. But when you get the help you need from a reputable provider, your life can get much better. If you are looking for effective substance abuse treatment in Montgomery, AL, Birmingham Recovery Center may have the solutions you’ve been seeking.
What is a Substance Use Disorder?
Substance use disorder is the clinical term for addiction. As defined by the American Psychiatric Association (APA), a substance use disorder is “a complex condition in which there is uncontrolled use of a substance despite harmful consequences.”
The fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) identifies several types of substance use disorders, including:
- Alcohol use disorder
- Cannabis use disorder
- Inhalant use disorder
- Opioid use disorder
- Stimulant use disorder
Two common characteristics among these and other substance use disorders are tolerance and withdrawal.
Tolerance means a person will need to use larger amounts of the drug to achieve the effect they’re seeking. Withdrawal refers to the onset of distressing physical and psychological symptoms when a person tries to stop using the substance they’ve become addicted to.
Substance abuse treatment in Montgomery, AL can help people get through withdrawal and build a foundation for a successful, drug-free future.
The Effects of Alcohol & Drug Abuse
The negative effects of alcohol and drug abuse can include immediate damage and long-term devastation. People who need, but do not get, substance abuse treatment may be at risk for the following effects:
- Damage to the brain, lungs, kidneys, and liver
- Hypertension, heart attack, and stroke
- Exposure to HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, and other bloodborne diseases
- Development or worsening of co-occurring mental illnesses
- Unsatisfactory performance in school or at work
- Academic failure, job loss, and chronic unemployment
- Physical injuries due to actions while under the influence of drugs
- Legal problems, including being arrested, fined, and imprisoned
- Strained or ruined relationships with friends, family members, and romantic partners
- Thoughts of self-harm and suicide
When a person gets the right type and level of substance abuse treatment in Montgomery, AL, they can reduce their risk for continued harm.
We’re Here To Help 24/7
How Do I Know I Need Substance Abuse Treatment in Montgomery?
If you suspect that you may need substance abuse treatment, it’s best to consult with your family doctor or an addiction treatment provider. They can assess your needs and recommend the best course of action.
In the interim, here are a few questions that can help you determine if you need help:
- Do you use substances to wake up in the morning or get to sleep at night?
- Do you need substances to feel joy or cope with sadness?
- Have you lied to or misled your loved ones about the amount or frequency of your substance use?
- Has your substance use caused arguments with friends or family members?
- Have you used substances when it was clearly dangerous do so (such as when driving)?
- Do you become angry or irritated if you can’t acquire or use substances?
- Has your substance use caused you to miss work, school, or other important events?
- Have you tried to limit or end your substance use, but been unable to do so?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should make an appointment for an assessment. Receiving an accurate diagnosis from a qualified professional can be an important step on your path to treatment and recovery.
Benefits of Substance Abuse Treatment in Montgomery, AL
Here are just a few of the many benefits of receiving substance abuse treatment in Montgomery, AL at Birmingham Recovery Center:
- Personalized treatment
- Safe & welcoming environment
- Dedicated team of skilled professionals
- Multiple levels of care
- Dual diagnosis services available if needed
- Family programming
- Aftercare support
Substance Abuse Resources in Montgomery
The following state and national resources may be valuable for people in Montgomery, Alabama, whose lives have been affected by substance abuse and addiction:
What Happens During Montgomery, AL Substance Abuse Treatment?
At Birmingham Recovery Center in Montgomery, AL, substance abuse treatment typically incorporates several types of therapy, including individual and group sessions, as well as an array of support services.
If the pain of withdrawal has prevented you from ending your substance abuse, your care may begin in our medical detoxification program. Detoxification, or detox, can help you get through withdrawal safely and with the least amount of discomfort. Depending on your needs, you may receive both medical and therapeutic support while you’re completing detox.
After detox, you can transition directly into one of the following programs:
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Outpatient rehab
In each of these programs, you’ll work with compassionate professionals who are committed to providing quality, person-focused services. Our team will help you set your individual goals for recovery. Then they’ll develop the customized treatment plan that will empower you to achieve those objectives.